I found a list of short health reminders that I wrote in my journal a while back to help myself stay on track when it comes to self-care. It’s all too easy to fall off or get busy/distracted with life until you start feeling out of whack and you realize you haven’t been keeping up with yourself.
Whenever I start feeling unbalanced, I always take a look at this list to get myself back on track. I wrote these for myself but I wanted to share it with you guys because I find it really helpful and I think it’s a good foundation of having a healthy lifestyle.
1) Healthy Meals: Meals should consist of grains + vegetables, complex carbs, generous healthy fats like avocados, nuts, and seed. Eat organic.
2) Treat Your Gut Well: Eat Anti-Inflammatory Foods and take/drink Probiotics. Macro-Biotic Diet, popularized by the Japanese are really gut-friendly (more on this in another article!)
3) Take Daily Supplements: Sometimes, we get really busy or some of us may not be food savvy, so if that’s the case I recommend taking supplements until you get comfortable or get knowledgable with what foods to eat. I would start with basics like Turmeric, Omega 3’s, Oregano Oil. These are all safe for you but of course do your research and only take what you need. I would also stay away from any multi-vitamins.
4) Minimize Alcohol Use: Mocktails anyone? We all know alcohol is bad for our bodies but society has conditioned us that fun can only be had with alcohol. I’m learning to switch this mindset because let’s face it hangovers are shitty.
5) Manage stress through daily movement: I like doing yoga at home and occasionally when I feel like seeing people I’ll join a class using my ClassPass app. I also incorporate short walking breaks at my office job. Hours at the gym aren’t necessary but aerobic exercise 2-3 times a week can help, whether it be a dance class or a bootcamp on the weekends.
6) Engage in Nature: I try to do this at least 2x a week, which is hard when you’re living in a city like LA. But hey, that’s why I started a garden on my patio. Caring for plants is really therapeutic and keeps you connected to nature. If you’re lucky enough to live by the beach, bike rides or just laying out at the beach does wonders for the spirit.
7) Maintain hydration by drinking water: This is so important but is one of the things we all overlook. Luckily, I have co-workers who are all on the same page and we always remind each other to drink water, especially on a busy day. First thing I like to do upon waking is drinking a tall glass of water before anything else. Some people don’t like the taste of water and find it boring to drink water, so try coconut water!
8) Respect your Circadian Rhythm: Go to bed at the same time & wake up at the same time. If you find it hard to sleep, try drinking some calming tea such as chamomile or take a warm bath before bed. For me, reading a book always makes me sleepy and puts me right to bed! Sleep should be restorative and re-energize you.
Let me know what you think and what you do to check in with yourself!